Two dead after shooting at SF jewelry store


Two people died and a third was injured in a shooting and possible stabbing at a jewelry store in San Francisco’s South of Market neighborhood Friday afternoon, police Chief Greg Suhr said.

Officers responded to a report of shots fired around 2 p.m. at 888 Brannan St.

Police encountered a male suspect covered in blood on the north side of Brannan Street who took out a gun and fired at the officers, Suhr said.

The suspect then retreated to a nearby restaurant and continued firing at the officers, then apparently ran out of ammunition and surrendered to police, Suhr said.

Authorities then went to Victoga Inc., a jewelry store in the GiftCenter & JewelryMart complex at 888 Brannan St., and found two females dead from either gunshot or stab wounds, Suhr said.

A male victim was also found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to San Francisco General Hospital in stable condition, the police chief said.

The suspect, whose name was not immediately being released, was also hospitalized with superficial wounds to his hands, Suhr said.

As of 4 p.m., Suhr said police were still searching the area “out of an abundance of caution” for a possible second suspect but added that investigators think they have the lone suspect responsible for the violence in custody.

He said police have not yet determined a possible motive for the shooting.

No officers were struck by the gunfire and police did not return fire at the suspect, Suhr said.

Customers and employees at several nearby businesses were ordered to shelter in place during the investigation but were slowly being cleared to leave Friday afternoon.

Maggie, a 27-year-old San Francisco resident who did not want to give her last name, said she was in a bridal boutique at 888 Brannan St. when employees turned out the lights and told everyone to go to the back of the store.

“We were all scared and freaking out,” she said.

Another woman, a 23-year-old Orinda resident who did not want to give her name, was in another jewelry store in the complex to look at engagement rings and heard the gunshots, then heard a man crying out for help.

The visibly rattled woman said, “I’m so happy to be alive” and said she was never coming back to San Francisco again.

Suhr said police have recovered a revolver and folding knife investigators believe were used in the attacks.

He said the names of the deceased victims are not being released until their families are notified of the deaths.

The 800 block of Brannan Street remained closed late this afternoon and Suhr said he expected it to remain closed for an extended period of time while police continue their investigation.

(Copyright 2013 Bay City News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Share This

Leave a Reply

Connect with Facebook