SF and NY officials to meet over cellphone thefts

Sina WeiboPrintShare

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – Top law enforcement officials from San Francisco and New York plan to meet with some of the nation’s largest smartphone makers to help thwart the rise in cellphone thefts and robberies.

San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman on Wednesday announced the June 13 meeting scheduled to take place in New York City dubbed a “Smartphone Summit.”

Gascon and Schneiderman say they’ll meet with representatives from Apple, Google, Samsung and Microsoft and urge them to create new technology to permanently and quickly disable stolen smartphones, making them worthless to thieves.

Gascon says an estimated 1.6 million Americans had their cellphones stolen in 2012.

Research firm IDC says nearly 175 million cellphones sold in the U.S. accounted for $69 billion in sales last year.

Speak Your Mind

Connect with Facebook

*