Public Charge: Public Service Announcement

Are you an immigrant? Did you know that you might have the right to use public benefits without any problem from immigration or without affecting your application for legal residency? Yes, this is true, regardless of whether or not you have the proper immigration documents. If you are undocumented you can still qualify for some public benefits like Medi-cal and food assistance programs! If you are pregnant, have a serious medical emergency, or have breast or cervical cancer, you may qualify for free medical care through Medi-cal. Also, many counties will give your children health insurance even if they do not have immigration documents. Using these benefits will not prevent you from becoming a legal resident. If you or your children are already legal residents, you may qualify for more programs. Call the legal Aid Society of San Mateo County for more information. The number to call is 1-800-381-8898.