REDWOOD CITY (BCN)
A man was sentenced to more than 27 years in prison Monday for trying to abduct a 9-year-old girl out of a San Mateo school bathroom in 2012 as well as other molestation attempts, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.
Bradley Mrozek, 26, pleaded no contest last year to one count of kidnapping, two counts of committing a lewd act on a child under the age of 14 and one count of attempted child pornography possession in exchange for the 27-year sentence.
But Mrozek later suffered a case of “buyer’s remorse,” Wagstaffe said, and tried to withdraw the plea, delaying his sentencing for several months.
Judge Craig Parsons denied the motion during Monday’s hearing and sentenced Mrozek to 27 years and 4 months in prison, Wagstaffe said. Mrozek must serve 85 percent of his sentence before his is eligible for release and will spend at least 22 years behind bars.
He was convicted of grabbing the 9-year-old girl in the bathroom at Parkside Elementary School on Sept. 21, 2012, covering her mouth with his hand and trying to carry her off the campus, prosecutors and police said.
But the girl kicked Mrozek and threw a rock at him and escaped, running back to the school and reporting the incident.
He was arrested a short time later, and police connected him to several prior incidents of inappropriate conduct at Peninsula schools.
Mrozek was charged with entering another school bathroom in March 2012 in Daly City and trying to take photographs of four girls inside, who reported the incident. Mrozek ran from that campus before he could be arrested.
Mrozek was also believed to be connected to an incident at Bayside STEM Academy in San Mateo earlier on Sept. 12, 2012, when he allegedly trespassed on campus and made lewd comments to two girls and offered alcohol to two boys, according to prosecutors.
He was also believed to have trespassed at Horrall Elementary School in San Mateo that day, where he was escorted off campus by an administrator.
Initially he had faced 18 felony counts but pleaded no contest in November to the four counts in a deal with prosecutors. In attempting to withdraw the plea, he claimed that he had not been adequately advised by his attorney.
(Copyright 2014 Bay City News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)