Peanut allergy suspected in teen’s death

Sina WeiboPrintShare

(AP)

A 13-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after taking a bite of a treat at a family summer camp in Sacramento, Calif.

The El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office tells the Sacramento Bee that Natalie Giorgi died Saturday at Camp Sacramento after ingesting a Rice Krispies treat with peanuts, even after her parents administered multiple doses of medicine.

A family friend told the Bee that Giorgi spit out the treat right away after tasting peanuts.

She called her parents, who gave her a dose of Benadryl and monitored her.

Twenty minutes later she had trouble breathing. Her father, a doctor, administered an injection of epinephrine three times before she stopped breathing.

The sheriff’s office cited laryngeal edema, or a swelling in the throat, as the cause of death.
(Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Speak Your Mind

Connect with Facebook

*