Man arrested after 13-year-old boy robbed of cellphone

SALINAS (BCN)

A 20-year-old suspected gang member was arrested Thursday in Salinas for allegedly robbing four people, including a 13-year-old boy whose cellphone was stolen as he walked to school, police said.

Salinas police were alerted at 8:33 a.m. Thursday about the robbery of the teenage boy, who told officers an unarmed male adult threatened him with his life if the boy did not turn over his cellphone, police said.

While an officer was taking the report, three other people approached and said they were also victims of the same type of robbery earlier in the week, according to police.

After taking their reports, the officer spotted a man at the intersection of Del Monte Avenue and North Sanborn Road who matched the victims’ description of the suspect, police said.

The officer arrested the suspect, Gerardo Chavez, 20, on an outstanding warrant and the four victims later positively identified Chavez as the person who robbed them, police said.

Police arrested Chavez on suspicion of four counts of robbery and a gang enhancement and booked him into Monterey County Jail.
(Copyright 2014 Bay City News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Share This
wx

Leave a Reply

Connect with Facebook

*