Kenya president says siege is over

Sina WeiboPrintShare

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) According to the president of Kenya, the attackers who have held off Kenyan security forces at a shopping mall in Nairobi since Saturday have now been defeated — after killing at least 67 civilians and government troops.

He’s making it clear that the death toll will rise — saying several bodies are trapped in the rubble after three floors of the shopping mall collapsed.

Explosions and gunfire had been heard from the mall throughout the day today, and smoke rose from the building in the afternoon. The Kenyan leader says six of the attackers are dead, and 11 other suspects have been arrested.

Picture 1 of 8

一名肯亞保安人員在商場外站崗,他背後的商場烽煙四起,恐怖分子和軍隊在內槍戰。 A Kenyan security officer moves the crowd as heavy smoke rises from the Westgate Mall in Nairobi Kenya Monday Sept. 23 2013. (AP Photo/ Jerome Delay)

(Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Speak Your Mind

Connect with Facebook

*