Great Family October 2012
Here are some parenting tips given by Mayor Ed Lee:
- Communication is essential. Even though you and your child may live in different cities, make sure you talk to them every day. As Mayor Lee has stated, texting is one effective way of doing that.
- Be balanced – don’t focus only on academics, but also athletics and outdoor activities.
- Give your kids some room to be themselves; encourage them to choose what they love to do in their careers. If possible, let them study other languages when they are young.
- Experience and engage international perspectives, appreciate the diversity that we have in the Bay Area, and spend time getting to know other cultures from around the world.
- Make sure your kids know the importance of doing volunteer work. It’s all about helping other people in the community, and this value will stay with them forever.
Great Family is a multi-media initiative which highlights family related health and social issues affecting the Asian-American community. Each month, a Great Family tip is delivered via 30-second broadcast vignettes featuring experts in the fields of medicine, nutrition, education, business, etc. The complete, long form version of each expert interview is made available for streaming on greatfamily.ktsf.com and is broadcast on the last Sunday of each month at 10:30pm on KTSF-TV.