Bicyclist pleads not guilty in manslaughter

Sina WeiboPrintShare

(KTSF by Sean Au)

The man who allegedly caused the death of a 71-year-old man in San Francisco’s Castro District has pleaded not guilty to the felony charge of vehicular manslaughter.

36-year-old Chris Bucchere has been charged with causing the death of Sutchi Hui when his bicycle knocked the pedestrian down when Hui was crossing Castro Street with his wife. Police say the couple were within the crosswalk.

Chris Bucchere did not speak to the media today but his lawyer released a statement saying that Bucchere “anticipates the day when he may express his deepest condolences to the Hui family for their tragic loss. But for now, while the case is ongoing, he will continue to cooperate with the authorities and to respond to the charges in court.”

Hui’s niece was in court for the arraignment today but also refused to answer questions from reporters.

San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon had said earlier that witnesses have claimed that the suspect allegedly ran red lights and stop signs before hitting Hui with his bicycle. Bucchere will be in court again in July 27 for a preliminary hearing.

 

(Copyright 2012 KTSF. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Comments

  1. Gregory Collins says:

    I rarely see bicyclists stop for a stop sign. I hope that the cycling
    community acknowledges this reality and does something to correct it.
    There is something in the local culture of biking that does not want to stop
    for a stop sign or a human.
    I recognize that this case is unresolved. Nevertheless, I offer my
    condolences to the Hui family; Sutchi Hui was not struck by lightning.

Speak Your Mind

Connect with Facebook

*