Adult, infant injured in San Jose apartment fire

Sina WeiboPrintShare

(BCN)

An adult and an infant were transported to a hospital Tuesday morning but were not seriously hurt following a fire in an apartment building south of downtown San Jose, a fire captain said.

Firefighters received a call at 10:31 a.m. about the fire in a first-floor apartment at 123 Duane St., between South Almaden Avenue and South First Street, San Jose fire Capt. Cleo Doss said.

Fire crews knocked down the fire, confined to the living room of one unit, at 10:40 a.m. and had it under control by 11:25 a.m., Doss said.

One adult was taken to a hospital by ambulance for smoke inhalation and minor burns and an infant was also transported but only as a precaution, Doss said.

A third adult who also inhaled smoke was treated at the scene and released.

An occupant of the apartment where the fire started told firefighters that she had lit a candle, fell asleep and woke up to see the

unit on fire, according to Doss.

Two people living in the apartment have been displaced and the American Red Cross is assisting them with finding alternative housing, Doss said.

(Copyright 2014 Bay City News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Speak Your Mind

Connect with Facebook

*