200 sick after dining at Vegas restaurant

Sina WeiboPrintShare

(AP)

A new report says 200 people reported food poisoning symptoms after dining at one of Las Vegas’ most popular restaurants.

Southern Nevada Health District data released Friday show the salmonella outbreak at the Firefly restaurant in late April was more extensive than previously thought. An earlier report showed nearly 90 people sick.

Officials say people reporting illness came from 20 states and two foreign countries.

Investigators say they haven’t pinpointed the likely source. Inspectors who visited the restaurant on April 26 documented food stored at improper temperatures and employees handling food without gloves.

Health District spokeswoman Stephanie Bethel says the restaurant was closed April 26.

Firefly owner John Simmons said in a statement that he hopes to reopen by the end of the month at a different site and that he’s hired a food safety consultant.

(Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Leave a Reply

Connect with Facebook

*