20 killed in South China floods

Sina WeiboPrintShare

(APTN)

Floods triggered by continuous downpours since Friday have killed 20 people in south China’s Guangdong Province, local authorities said Sunday.

In Puning alone, eight deaths were reported as some parts of the city remain submerged in flood water as deep as two meters.

The average precipitation in Puning between 20:00 Friday and 08:00 Sunday reached 324 mm, which triggered flush floods and inundated rivers and reservoirs.

More than 100,000 people have been evacuated from the city’s low-lying regions after they were cut off from the rest of the city by floodwaters starting Friday, according to the municipal government.

The direct economic loss in Puning is estimated to be about 600 million yuan (97.3 million U.S. dollars).

In Heyuan City, a local resident was left dead and another one remained missing as of Monday morning.

Meanwhile, dozens of villages in Shantou remain under water. Several townships there are without water and power supply or communication.

“The water just rushed in despite the boards that I used to keep off the flood. The mattress and all my furniture were ruined. And the car that I had parked outside was also washed away,” said a villager in Gurao of Shantou.

According to the provincial flood control headquarters, some 1.55 million people across Guangdong were affected in the floods. About 200,000 people had been evacuated by Sunday evening.

More than 2,800 soldiers are participating in the rescue and relief efforts.

A total of 61 reservoirs reported water levels above flood stage by Sunday evening, the headquarters said.

(Copyright 2013 APTN. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Leave a Reply

Connect with Facebook

*