(KTSF by Susannah Lee)
Mold is an allergen that causes asthma and other allergic responses. If found within a household, it should be dealt with as soon as possible.
Mold can grow on walls, tiles, bathtubs, aluminum window frames, and other enclosed areas that are high in humidity. Wooden furniture, plastic, and leather can also be affected.
David Lo, Health Educator of the San Francisco Department of Health, says, “Moldspores are everywhere in the air. When they get indoors where humidity is high, it provides a suitable condition for them to grow.”
Mold is a type of fungi that can sometimes be toxic to humans. It can cause numbness, eczema, and loss of consciousness. Last September, the California Department of Public Health defined mold as an allergen. Moreover, the San Francisco Department of Public Health has listed mold as one of the most harmful substances for public health.
Lo notes, “When moldspores get in to the respiratory tract, they cause inflammations and infections; the tract then contracts and becomes swollen. Outcomes include upper respiratory tract problems such as nasal conjestion, sinus issues, sore throat and laryngitis; it could also lead to lower respiratory tract conditions like coughing, difficulty breathing, and shortness of breath.”
Notably, if mold is found in rental properties, landlords and tenants could face prosecutions and fines.
(Copyright 2012 KTSF. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)