(Oakland Police Department news release)
Oakland, CA – For the third year in a row, members of the Oakland Police Department’s Citizens Police Academy Alumni Association (CPAAA) will volunteer their time at the West Oakland BART station to provide safety escort service to holiday shoppers.
Both Oakland and BART police officers will work side-by-side with CPAAA members in an effort to ensure holiday shoppers make it safely to their parked cars. “This is an excellent show of support to police services, and the community” stated Chief Howard Jordan, “every little bit helps.”
Volunteer escorts can be identified by their red vests, and will be stationed inside the BART station at an identified table, where riders can request a pedestrian escort to their parked car within a two to three block radius.
The safety escort program will be offered on Thursday and Friday December 15-16, 2011 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
As a safety reminder:
- Always be aware of your surroundings. Don’t be distracted by cell phones and electronic devices;
- Stay in well lit and populated areas;
- Be especially alert when entering and exiting your vehicle;
- Remember to lock your car door after entering your vehicle; and
- If someone or something looks suspicious call the police.